"In a recent poll sponsored by a cable TV station, 25,000 responded. 99% believed in life after death. 70% reported having experienced an after death communication"
~No Reason For Goodbyes: Messages From Beyond Life
Many of the stories in Chassie's book are spontaneous communications that took place directly between people here in the physical world and their loved ones on the other side, without the assistance of a medium. Often, my own clients wonder why their loved ones "never" visit them or provide evidence of their existence in the afterlife, when in truth, they are likely being visited often and just not paying enough attention! Because we remain connected by the bonds of love, no medium can possibly have a stronger connection to our loved ones than us. Each of us, as soul-based beings, has the natural ability to continue a relationship with our loved ones even after physical death. However, because they are now free of the limitations of having a physical body, we need to learn how to communicate with them in a new way. Following are some tips that may help you in keeping the lines of communication open:
- Pay attention. Of course, not every dime on the sidewalk is going to be a sign from Aunt Lucy...but don't walk through life with blinders on. Notice your surroundings, and be objectively observant. If you find a dime on the bed you just made, the bathtub you just cleaned, the chair you were just sitting in...and were just thinking about Aunt Lucy as you did so, then that dime may be her way of saying "hello!" Also, be open-minded; many people miss the "post-it note" sized signs because they are too busy watching for the huge "billboard".
- Journal your dreams. As we sleep our conscious, logical mind takes a back seat to our receptive, intuitive senses. Therefore, we are psychically "open" in this state and better able to receive messages. For these reasons, many people find that their loved ones visit as they sleep. It's a good idea to keep a journal next to your bed and make it a practice to write everything you can remember from each dream as soon as you wake, right down to the tiniest detail.
- Meditate regularly. Meditation need not be done sitting atop a mountain chanting "OM" while heavy incense wafts around your head. Meditation simply means to "be"...be in the moment, in the thought, in the breath. Make it a practice to take a few moments each day to breathe and allow the mind chatter of the day to drift away while you focus on the breath. When you are in that state of zen-like calm, it is then that you are at your most "open" and able to receive clearer intuitive messages.
- Ask. Our loved ones want to communicate with us as much as we want to hear from them! Ask (mentally or out loud) your loved one to show you a specific sign. One author I know asked his deceased father to show him a specific rare mushroom (which had significant meaning to their relationship) to indicate his presence. After many weeks had gone by, he had all but given up and as he trusted an intuitive message to walk out to his yard, there was the rare mushroom, growing in the soil where it had no logical business being.
- Have patience. Know that time is an earthly concept. Not receiving the sign you are asking for immediately does not mean that your loved one doesn't love you or doesn't want to make contact. Be patient - it'll happen, and often when you least expect it!